If you are a high achiever, talented sportsperson or school leader, you should be looking for scholarships. Scholarships can be financially liberating, as well as impressive résumé additions with opportunities for networking and career advancement. Check out TutorTime’s top list to see if you could be eligible for any of the following scholarships.
New South Wales
The University of Sydney
Sydney Scholars Award $6k-$10k/yr
- The Sydney Scholars Award is a highly competitive scholarship awarded to Year 12 graduates planning to study at the University of Sydney. For students with an ATAR of 99.90+, $10 000 is granted per year for the duration of their undergraduate degree, while students with an ATAR of 95+ may be eligible for either $6000 per year for the duration of their undergraduate degree, or $6000 for one year of their undergraduate degree.
- The USYD Sydney Scholars Award is worth $6000-$10 000 per annum for 1-5 years.
- The application process for the Sydney Scholars Award is highly competitive, and awarded to few students. Applications close on September the year before students commence university, and offers are made upon the release of ATARs in December.
- Students should apply if they have received or are expecting to receive an ATAR of 95+, unless applying for the Sydney Conservatorium of Music or the Sydney Dental School, which requires an ATAR of 90+
- Students must apply in the year they complete Year 12. The application requires a personal statement and submission of the latest school report
The University of New South Wales (UNSW)
Co-op Program $19.6k/yr
- UNSW’s Co-Op Program is available for school-leavers who have displayed excellent leadership and community service. Those candidates considered for the program must meet the minimum ATAR requirements of their course without adjustment factors.
The program offers successful candidates:
- Leadership and mentoring opportunities
- Industry training
- Networking opportunities
- Financial support
- Monetary Value
- UNSW’s Co-Op Program is worth $19 600 for up to 4 years.
The application process for the UNSW Co-Op Program is broadly composed of four steps:
- Online application process
- Completion of the Schools Assessment Page (SAP) by your careers advisor/school representative
- If selected for an interview, candidates will submit a video introduction called a ‘Video Snapshot’
- Successful applicants based upon the online application and SAP will be invited for an interview
Women In Engineering Scholarship Program $10k/yr
- The UNSW Women in Engineering program is designed to raise awareness of engineering as a potential career option for women, encouraging and assisting high-achieving female students interested in engineering become lateral thinkers who are creative, problem solvers and build management skills.
- The UNSW Women in Engineering Scholarship Program is worth $10 000 a year for up to 4 years.
- Applicants are assessed based on: academic merit, demonstrated or potential leadership skills, extra-curricular activities (sporting, cultural activities, volunteer/work experiences), aptitude and commitment to studies in an area of Engineering.
University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
Women in Engineering and IT Cooperative Scholarship $16.5k/yr
- The UTS Women in Engineering and IT Cooperative Scholarship is a co-op program that seeks to attract high-achieving female students who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering or IT. The scholarship includes 3 industry placements as well as mentoring, networking, leadership and professional development opportunities.
- The UTS Women in Engineering Scholarship is worth a total of $66 000, or $16 500 a year, including 3 internships.
- Candidates are required to submit an online application form that includes their most recent Year 12 results, UAC preferences, most recent school report and answer several questions. Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview. Successful applicants will be notified after the release of ATAR results.
Bachelor of Information Technology Co-operative Scholarship Program $16.5k/yr
- The Bachelor of Information Technology Co-operative Scholarship is a co-op program that aims to give scholars strong practical experience in the IT field with the hope that they will become leaders in information technology in Australian organisations.
- The UTS Bachelor of Information Technology Co-operative Scholarship is worth $16 500 a year, or $49 500 in total, including 2 industry placements.
- Submit your UTS BIT online application here which requires you to submit your most recent Year 12 results, most recent school report and answer several questions
- Submit your UAC application and nominate the Bachelor of Information Technology (UAC code 603210) as one of your preferences with UAC. If you’ve submitted a strong application, UTS will invite you to attend a face-to-face interview. You must receive an ATAR between 85 – 99.95 to be eligible for this scholarship.
Vice-Chancellor’s Outstanding Achievement Scholarship $12.5k/yr
- This scholarship offered by UTS is awarded automatically upon the release of ATARs in December. The scholarship seeks to award high achieving school leavers who have received an ATAR of 95.00 and above.
- The UTS Vice-Chancellor’s Outstanding Achievement Scholarship is worth $12 500 a year for the standard duration of a UTS course.
- The applicants’ ATARs are ranked in descending order, excluding bonus points. Candidates must have UTS as a preference on their UAC form. Having an UTS course as the first preference on the UAC form is highly recommended. Applicants forms are not necessary. However, applicants are encouraged to complete the Elite School Leavers Scholarships Application. By completing this application, applicants will be considered for other UTS scholarships, such as the Law Dean’s Scholarship.
Cooperative Education Program $19.6k/yr
- Macquarie Uni offers two co-op programs, including one in Actuarial Studies and another in Accounting. These co-op programs seek to attract high-achieving, motivated students and help them gain practical experience with a leading organisation whilst undertaking their studies. The program aims to provide students with the opportunity to improve their employability in the workplace and build a professional network.
- Macquarie Uni’s Cooperative Education Program is worth $19 600 per year for a maximum of 4 years plus provides 15 months of placements with three different organisations.
- To apply, students must go through UAC. In UAC, you must put either of the eligible Macquarie Uni undergraduate courses as your first preference. Complete the online application form which includes 3 questions before you may then be selected for an interview. If you are successful at the interview, you’ll receive a conditional offer pending your final selection rank.
Vinva Scholar Award $10k/yr
- The Vinva Scholar Award offered by Macquarie University aims to award school leavers who have achieved excellent results in their final school exams and demonstrated strong community service and leadership. The scholarship is targeted to those first-year students studying science, IT, business, and engineering degrees. Scholarship preferences will be granted to those students who have experienced hardship throughout their study.
- The Vinva Scholar Award is worth $10 000 per year, for up to three years.
- Candidates begin the application process for the Vinva Scholar Award by completing the online application form. Applicants will need to provide two references, one from an academic source such as the candidate’s school and one from another source. Short-listed applicants will subsequently be invited for an interview with Macquarie University.
Leaders and Achievers Scholarship $10k/yr
- The Macquarie Leaders and Achievers Scholarship rewards high-achieving students who have also demonstrated initiative and commitment through leadership, community, sport or casual work activities. The scholarship is available for all undergraduate courses except a Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with Professional Practice (Honours) (Co-op) and a Bachelor of Professional Practice and Bachelor of Professional Accounting (Co-op).
- The Macquarie Leaders and Achievers Scholarship is valued at $10 000 per year for up to 4 years.
- Scholarship recipients should apply via the Macquarie Leaders and Achievers Early Entry Scheme. Select the course you would like to receive a scholarship in. Obtain referees, which include a school referee such as your school principal or year coordinator, and a referee for each of the activities you have included in your application who are familiar with your participation. Prepare your responses to the Leadership and Community Engagement questions. Apply online.
The University of Wollongong
Ramsay Scholarship $30k/yr
- UoW’s Ramsay Scholarship is awarded to 30 high-achieving students who wish to study a Bachelor of Arts in Western Civilisation as a single undergraduate degree or double degree. Scholarship recipients will receive access to a dedicated study lounge, small class sizes, academic mentoring and an international return airfare for an approved overseas experience as part of their studies.
- The Ramsay Scholarship is worth $30,000 per year for up to 5 years.
- The online application process includes a written essay on one of three given topics and your most recent academic results. Invitations are then sent for further interviews held at the UoW campus. After this, scholarships are offered.
Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for Excellence $6k/yr
- This scholarship offered by Monash University is offered to students who are low-income earners and have achieved an ATAR of 95.00+. It includes $6000 per annum for undergraduate students, and 130 places are offered for school leavers each year.
- The Monash Uni Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for Excellence is worth $6000 a year for a maximum duration of 6 years.
- Applicants must submit a written application form through VTAC. The scholarship is awarded based upon academic merit and financial need. The scholarship can also be deferred, allowing for gap year/s.
The University of Melbourne
Chancellor’s Scholarship $5k-$10k/yr
- This scholarship offered by the University of Melbourne seeks to reward high-achieving students who have received exceptional results in their Year 12 studies. To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must receive a minimum ATAR of 99.90, unless applying for a Bachelor of Music (99.85) or be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (90.00).
- The Melbourne Uni Chancellor’s Scholarship includes a fee remission plus is worth up to $17 500 – $32 500 with an annual living allowance for up to 3 years of $5000 for students who studied in Victoria and $10 000 for those who studied outside Victoria. It also includes the Melbourne Global Scholars Award worth up to $2,500 for an approved period of overseas study as an Exchange or Study Abroad student.
- Students who have received the above minimum ATAR of 99.90 are guaranteed a scholarship when applying for The University of Melbourne through VTAC.
Australian Capital Territory
The Australian National University (ANU)
Tuckwell Scholarship $22k/yr
- Each year, 25 school-leavers are awarded a Tuckwell Scholarship to attend the Australian National University in Canberra. The scholarship is highly competitive, and provides students with financial support throughout their university degree, leadership opportunities and access to specialised support and mentoring services for the duration of their scholarship.
- ANU’s Tuckwell Scholarship is worth $22 200 per annum for the length of an undergraduate degree.
The application process for the Tuckwell Scholarship is complex:
- Initial applications are due in May – this stage requires references from your teachers and completion of the scholarship application form
- If successful from stage 1, participants will be invited for a video interview and will be required to submit a written reference for their principal
- If successful, students will be placed on a short-list of 75 students. Those students selected on the short-list will be eligible for the ANU ‘All-Rounders’ scholarship. Subsequent in-person interviews will be conducted to determine the final 25 successful applicants.
The University of Queensland
Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship $6k-$12k/yr
- This scholarship offered by the University of Queensland is open for school-leavers who have achieved exceptional academic results. The scholarship seeks to reward those who have achieved high results in their Year 12 studies.
- The UQ Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship is worth $6000 – $12 000 per year of undergraduate study for up to 5 years.
- Applications open before the release of ATARs in August. Awarded applicants must receive a minimum ATAR of 99.90 to be awarded the scholarship. Selection for the scholarship is provided on the basis of a written application, which is then decided by the UQ Scholarship panel.
Excellence Scholarship $6k/yr
- This scholarship offered by the University of Queensland is open for school-leavers who have demonstrated outstanding academic, leadership, and/or major community service achievements in Years 11 and 12.
- The UQ Excellence Scholarship is worth $6000 per year of undergraduate study up to 4 years.
- Selection for the scholarship is provided on the basis of a written application, which is then decided by the UQ Scholarship panel.